Saturday, February 23, 2013

I Wish We Had Inches

A few years ago there was a commercial that caught the essence of curling, and at least in my mind, helped lay to rest the debate about whether or not curling was a sport or a game.  Although what the commercial was actually for, I can't recall.  Nor can I find it anywhere online beyond forum references to an additional debate about whether it is genius (my vote is yes) or a petty knock at a "more popular" sport.  And why the thrower decided to go for the essentially non-existent port between those stones rather than doubling them out. 

Regardless, if someone out there can find it, PLEASE tell me.  I just lost an hour trying.  And for the failure of both You Tube and Google, you are stuck with my dramatic re-typing. 

~~~~~

Cue image of a delivery.  The sweepers are called on.  The rock nears the house.

[unreasonably calmly] "They say football is a game of inches"

The rock passes between 2 opposition rocks with millimeters to spare on either side and curls neatly to the button.

"I wish we had inches"

~~~~~

Curling, especially world championship level curling, is a sport where shots can be made or missed by literally a hair's breadth.  Points are awarded or stolen on measures with a micrometer.  It's epic. 

And I was reminded of this commercial as I knit happily along on Amy's fingerless gloves while watching the Scotties. 

Knitting away on the second mitt, as I started the thumb gusset I paused a took a good hard look at the rapidly diminishing amount of yarn I had left.  And I wasn't sure I was going to make it. 

Although, really, I should have seen this coming.  I let Amy pick the pattern and the yarn, and just shrugged when the weight called for and the weight I was holding didn't quite match.  No worries, it's not off by much.  (Karmic smack #1)  And Amy would like them to go almost to her elbow (more that double the length of the pattern).  No problem I said!  (Karmic smack #2)

If that wasn't hint enough that catastrophe was imminent, the sample couple of inches that Amy tried on before I boarded the train home fit perfectly. (Karmic smack #3)

No, I thought to myself, this project is going along too nicely for something silly like running out of yarn to happen.  This will work out. 


Or not.  Yes, that is the second mitt, 8 rows from the end.  And that little hanging tail is ALL of my yarn. 

So now what?

Option 1 - rip back this mitt to below the thumb gusset.  Rip out an entire cable repeat.  Knit back up with just enough yarn (cable repeat = 8 rounds).  THEN rip back the first mitt below the thumb gusset, remove one cable repeat.  Knit back up and have more yarn to spare.  Not a fan.

Option 2 - I'm only 8 rows short, and there is a 6 row repeat in the top part, which I'm already not that keen on since it tends to flair out right at the end.  So, pause this mitt.  Rip out the first mitt to the round right after the thumb cast off.  Reknit taking out 4 rounds of the 6 row repeat.  Cast off.  Use recovered yarn to knit 2 round repeat and ending rounds, and cast off.  I should have enough.  I like this plan better.  It has less ripping. 

And the result?



 I wish I had inches. 


OK, so in truth I have exactly 7.5 inches, not including the 1/2" tails I tucked in.  But still. 

And before I forget to post the details, Linda K's Yummy Mummy wrist warmers.  Knit on 4 mm.  Extended to have 10 cable repeats (instead of 4).  Using Tanis Fiber Arts Yellow Label DK in Plum.  It was beyond nice to work with.  Soft, just a little bit squishy, and not once did it split (even after ripping and reknitting).  Although another 2 meters (to make a nice round 240 meters/ball) would have been nice. 

Dearest Amy, these gloves will be on their way to you promptly (delivery method as yet to be finalized).  I hope they keep you warm while you create beautiful things.  I'll start the second pair once my blood pressure returns to something more reasonable and I can look at purple wool without mentally trying to calculate how many stitches I might get out of that last little 1.5" piece that's left over.  

At least the next yarn comes pre-divided.  Not going to wonder about the half way mark there. 

Love, Jen

I've also got some socks that really need to be done in the next 3 weeks, for a wonderful man with size 11 feet.  For some reason I thought this was a good idea...  It'll keep me busy during the Scotties finals today and tomorrow.  And the entire Men's Brier tournament next week.  We'll see if I still like him by the end. 

No comments: